Monday, October 13, 2008

I Smell Pumpkin!!

Blogreaders I must apologize for not blogging about my list just yet. Maybe I will have time tomorrow. Ijust HAD to blog about the newest recipe in my stash. My dear friend Anna e-mailed me a recipe of sorts last week and I had time to try it out. It was a hit! So I thought I would share it with all of you...although I'm adding some of my notations about the journey from ingredients to cupcakes.

This was the e-mail from Anna:

1 can pumpkin (10 oz)
4 eggs
1 c vegetable oil
1 2/3 c sugar
2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
{It should be noted that if you use self-rising flour that you do not need to add the baking powder, the baking soda, or the salt. Luckily, my father-in-law read the recipe and saved me from the disaster.}

Put in a 9 x 13 greased pan and bake for 20-35 minutes. {15-20 minutes if cupcakes.} ~Edit: Bake @ 350~ You may want to cut the recipe in half as it makes a lot. It would make great cupcakes, especially if you added a cream cheese frosting.

This is the "recipe" exactly as I received it from Anna. Anna should know that I need specific directions when cooking due to my inexperience and lack of creativity in the kitchen. I even managed to mess up...I forgot to add the oil at first. The cupcakes were in the oven and I happened to see the unused measuring cup on the counter. Hmmm...why did I have that out? The vegetable oil!! {I go out to back porch where mother-in-law is quietly reading..."what will happen to my cupcakes if I didn't add the oil?" How much oil? "Ugh, a cup of vegetable oil?" They're going to be really, really dry.} So I took them out and scraped the mix out of those cute little paper cupcake liners (threw the liners in the trash) added vegetable oil, mixed the batter, and tried again. Second attempt was a success! I would not half the recipe if making cupcakes unless you only want a few. It made about 24 cupcakes.

Anna's Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:

3-4 oz cream cheese
1/2 T butter
Equal parts milk and powdered sugar {Ugh, Anna...HELP!}

Cream cheese icing tends to be heavy so you can lighten in up by using some whipping cream. Just buy the regular whipping cream at the store and whip it up a couple of times and you will notice a difference.

Recipe

I am recipe challenged, among other things so I hunted around and found a more specific cream cheese recipe. There were just waaaayyy too many ways for me to screw this one up.

4 oz cream cheese
2 c powdered sugar
1/4 c butter
1-3 t milk
*I added 1/2 t vanilla as well so sweeten the taste a bit more.

I did mix in some whipping cream and made my frosting too runny so I had to add some powdered sugar to thicken it back up. Overall, this recipe was a huge success despite my challenges. I took the cupcakes to the floorset at Bath and Bodyworks and everyone loved them. You can see pictures of my efforts below. THANKS ANNA!

Photobucket
Mixed Up and Ready for the Oven - Round 1

Cupcakes
Looking Yummy!

Ready to Go!
Packed Up and Ready to Eat!




1 comment:

BrendaF said...

I made the cupcakes! They were deeeeeelicious and really simple, however; I did end up packing them up and passing them out at various places in Zanesville because 24 of those things left in the house with Maggie and me would have been a bad, bad thing!