Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Finally Blogging About the List

Ok, finally had time to finish the blog about the list of things to blog about. (Say that 5 times fast and get someone to understand you, lol.)

1. Signing Issues ~ Mostly the spelling on signs...grrr!
I'm seriously annoyed by typos and the incorrect use of words, especially when it's on something "important" that people are going to read....all the time. I have seen a variety of signs that have made me slap my head and scream "UGH!" recently. My first, most annoying sign is someone's political sign. The person is running for a local city counsel position and their sign proudly proclaims "No Clicks." No clicks, huh? What about booms? Or splats? Or thumps? Did you mean to say cliques? You wouldn't get my vote...if you can't check a sign and know there are two different clicks vs. cliques...you shouldn't be on city counsel. .oO(Those political signs aren't cheap...I'd be making darn sure that they were correct before they were made.) Another sign I have seen proudly proclaims "Hay 4 Sell." I understand the use of a number instead of the word "for" to save space...but your hay is for sale not sell. You are selling it, thus making it for sale. I know there is another one I wanted to tell you all about, but I've forgotten it. Thank goodness.

2. ATTP Test ~Joke!! Huge joke!
In order to be "highly qualified" in Alabama I had to take a test to prove that I have basic reading, writing, and math skills. I went to take the test Saturday. I am annoyed by people who can't follow directions! First of all, our answer sheets were on our desks when we arrived. People, whom I am assuming have never taken a standardized test before...or who just think they know everything, started filling out their info on the answer sheet. A standardized test is supposed to be given in a "standard" manner. If you fill out the answer sheet early...it isn't standard.

I get annoyed with people who feel the need to talk in between sections of the test. The directions clearly stated "remain quietly in your seats." I'm further annoyed by test administrators who don't emphasize this issue. It goes back to that "standard" thing.

All that being said, this test was really easy. If I didn't pass I shouldn't be allowed to talk, let alone teach...EVER. I'd give out more details, but I signed my life away on all of my test booklets stating that I wouldn't talk about the content of the test, etc...etc...and if I do my scores could be voided. That means I'd have to sit through the test again...and they'd probably prosecute me for "violating their intellectual rights."

3. Bathroom at UAB Humanities Building ~Interesting mirror quote thingy.
I took my ATTP test in this building. When I went into the bathroom (before the test started b/c is clearly stated online in the info about the test that there are no breaks and it is roughly a 3 hr test) I discovered the neatest thing. I'll do my best to describe it. When you walk in the sinks are on the right side and there is a large mirror on your left side. above the sinks there are all these phrases printed across the wall backwards. I started trying to read some of them...they said things like my hair is too frizzy, I need a facelift, my complexion is uneven, etc. I thought...hmmmm. I turned around and much to my delight looked in the mirror and began reading more of the phrases. Only this time they were legible b/c they were put on the opposite wall to read correctly when you are looking in the mirror. It's supposed to make you think about all those things you think about when you look in the mirror. It was cool, I don't think my description did it justice.

4. Buddy the Terrible ~ He's a cat with a really, really, really big head.
Buddy is a cat that has been hanging around the in-laws house. He gets into fights and comes back to the house all beat up and pitiful looking. He did this about 2 weeks ago and this time around it was his ear...it looks like something had tried to nearly take his ear off. It was at this point that Buddy became the basement dwelling cat while we decided if he needed to see a vet or what we were going to do with him. He is a sweet orange tabby cat, with a large head (think lion without a mane type head and neck), and a meow that sounds like a nasaly/froggy "maaaahhh." Pitiful, but sweet. So, Buddy is in the basement just chilling and resting. We take him to the vet to update his shots and sign him up to be neutered (hoping this will keep him from getting into so many fights). He returns from the vet with the following report: he's got some sort of kitty STD, he had some sort of infection making his eyes all gooey that they gave him an anti-inflammatory shot, and they updated the rest of his vaccinations. He goes back into the basement...money has been spent on this cat and he has an appointment the following week for surgery. He can't be let out b/c he has to have stuff put on his eyes in addition to the shot and we want to make sure he doesn't run off. Well, a day or so later Buddy is feeling fine. We know this b/c the entire house stinks like ammonia. Buddy has sprayed everything he can find in the basment and the house reeks, thus earning himself the nickname "Buddy the Terrible." He's still sweet, but he STINKS! We manage to get an industrial strength fan and use it in combination with lots of open windows and candles to get the stink to a more bearable smell. The household kindly endures this dreadful smell for another week 'til Buddy goes off for surgery. Buddy goes to surgery on a Friday morning. We get a phone call from the vet that afternoon telling us that we can pick him up...normally they keep them overnight, but Buddy is somehow a special case and we go retrieve him. His version of meow is now an octave higher and after another overnight stay in the basement he has gone back to being an outside dwelling cat. The reign of "Buddy the Terrible" is over and we are all glad.

5. Storage~ Ugh! Boxes are my enemy now and forever!
The majority of my stuff is in storage. Any time I want something I must first locate what box I think it might be in and proceed to dig through it. If the desired item is not in the box I must try to figure out what box it might be in and continue digging. Not fun, at all.

6. Job ~ Actual jobs and prospective jobs.
I now have two part-time jobs. I work part-time at Bath & Bodyworks, just like in DC only fewer hours so far. I will soon be starting part-time work at Ann Taylor Loft as well. I'm excited about this because I can buy the clothes I want at a nicely discounted price. Yay! I probably won't actually "make" money there, but at least I'll have nice clothes should a teaching job occur.

Speaking of teaching jobs I found out a christian school in the area was in need of an English teacher. I dropped off my resume last week and met the principal. He said he would look over my resume and get back to me. I'm still waiting to hear about a potential interview. If this teaching job doesn't happen then I guess I will have an answer about what it is Dave and I should plan on doing in the near future. Stay tuned dear blogreaders for updates as they occur ;)

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

I laughed out loud at the signs you saw. I'll have to keep my eye for some around here.