Monday, November 3, 2008

Following Mom's Orders

In case you aren't a Facebook friend and didn't see the delightful comment my mother left on my wall I'll give you a brief summary...she ordered me to blog b/c she was bored and reads my blog when she's bored (not sure how I feel about that...hmmm) and since I haven't posted anything in a few days there was nothing for her to read. I'm fixing that now.

I love watching the show Army Wives on Lifetime. I'm not sure exactly why I love the show so much, but I think it is mostly because it is an honest look at life as a military wife. It may be a bit over dramatic as most wives don't have quite that much drama all the time, but I think it shows a wonderful snapshot of a life military wives and families live~a snapshot that most people don't think about unless they happen to come from a military family or it is a holiday like Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Veteran's Day. The show first began when Dave was doing what are known as work-ups (training exercises which meant a lot of time "in the field" away from me) for his deployment with the 22 MEU. My world stopped for that 1 hour each Sunday to watch the show and it reminded me that I wasn't the only one struggling with the idea of being seperated from my husband as he traveled across the ocean, I wasn't the only one who was frustrated with her husband's training schedule, I wasn't the only one who was extremely proud of my husband and his calling to serve our country, and I wasn't the only one who despite all its drawbacks loved the life of a military wife. (I know the show is fictional, but it reminded me of the real life military wives enduring the same battles those characters were.) Rarely did I watch an episode without tearing up because it stirred up some emotion of understanding, played out one of my fears, or a character on the show experienced some great joy. When the first season ended I patiently waited for the second season to begin. The second season evoked those same emotions of sorrow, joy, and pride. Last night I watched the last episode of the second season and I was crying at every commercial break-I'm blaming some of it on the fact that I've been sick and was tired, but this last episode was jam packed with emotion. (I apologize now if you're a fan and didn't watch the show last night...and for my "simplified" explanation.) In last night's episode one of the wives, Claudia Joy, called the friends together to announce her husband had been transferred to Brussels and they were moving in two days. (I'm not familiar with moves that take place that quickly, but I am sure they exist.) This wife struggled with leaving her friends behind, because in the military sometimes your friends become your family. I'm all too familiar with moving and leaving friends behind to move to a new place all the while wishing things could just stay the same. Another factor in her move is the fact that her 18 yr old daughter had passed away recently and this was the last place that their family was whole. She struggled with packing up her deceased daughter's room, but knew it was something that had to be done. Claudia Joy was excited about the new possibilities of life in a new place, but was sad to leave. At one point in the show she said something that I think a lot of military wives say/think at some point in their lives..."I love being an army wife, but I don't know if I can do this." I interpretted this phrase as as something she said amongst friends-friends who understood this to mean she loves her life and wouldn't change a bit of it, but transitions are tough and even though this one seems extremely difficult at the time she will get through it, but for that particular moment she needed some support. (I suppose anyone could relate to that stament...I really blah blah blah, but I don't know if I can do this...and yet we do.) I could go on and on and on about the episode and the show, but I think I'll leave it at that for now.

I had a wonderful conversation with my sister Katie (K-tizzle as Dave calls her) and she said something that just made me laugh. We were talking about all sorts of things and I forget what in particular brought about this exact quote but I had to stop talking and write it down because it made me laugh so hard, especially the way she said it. Katie's quote of the day was "sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is really a bus so just keep your helmet on...I'm just sayin." I miss this girl! I'd love to walk up to Katie today and say "hug me, I'm cold." That is a phrase I said a lot my last winter at home because I'd say that and Katie would hug me. Katie is warm blooded so it warmed me up. It has since then become a family saying. It works with Dave, but it just isn't the same without Katie.

I haven't seen Katie since the end of June. I haven't seen Maggie since shortly before that. I haven't seen Mom since January. I miss them. I'm hoping we get some things figured out so I can plan a visit to Ohio soon! Maybe I'll win the lottery so I can afford to visit, but I think you have to buy a ticket to win the lottery and I'm too cheap to waste money on a ticket.

Living with someone else's mom suddenly makes my mom seem more sane. 'Nuff said.

Work is good. I love working at Ann Taylor Loft because I get to "shop" the whole time I'm there. I get to help other people put outfits together. Fun stuff. Bath and Bodyworks is ok, but time passes rather slowly there and I'm not liking it as much. I can't complain though because it is work.

I think that is all for today. Hope this entertained my mother at least.

2 comments:

Peapod Four said...

Does your mother-in-law read your blog? 'Cause if she does, you're brave!

BrendaF said...

It made your mother cry! 'Nuff said!!