Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Randomness!

I tend to have a rather sarcastic sense of humor. I tend to sometimes say rather flippant sarcastic comments. I also tend to have an eternally optimistic outlook on life. My motto is "things can only get so bad before something good has to happen." These are qualities that have guided me through life thus far and also qualities that are sometimes misunderstood. My sarcasm is sometimes taken for "itchiness" (if you know what I mean) and my eternal optimism for naivete. Why I'm blogging about this I'm not quite sure...I had a point, but I've lost it. .oO(We'll blame that on the cold still lingering despite my dosages of vitamins and echinacea.)

Election Day~I wanted to blog about this yesterday, but ATL called me into work early and I didn't get a chance to blog. I awoke yesterday to my husband's alarm going off at 6am. I sleepily asked "what time are you going to go vote?" He said "I'm leaving shortly." We talked about the fact that I didn't think the polls opened til 7am and he said he was going to get coffee first. I roused myself from the bed and put on some clothes...my jeans, a USMC t-shirt, and my Columbia fleece. It was either a USMC t-shirt or an Ohio University hoodie...I opted for the t-shirt since I was trying to draw very little attention to my northerness at the polls, it may have worked better if I hadn't spoken, lol. So we drive by our local polling place at approx. 6:20am. There are about 20 people in line. We drive down to Jack's (a fast food chicken place) and Dave gets coffee and I get a sweet tea. (I was planning on going back to bed so I didn't want to wake up too much.) We drive back to the polling place and the line has doubled-it is only 6:30am at this point. We wait another half hour for the polls to open and the line doubles one more time by then. I happily signed my name as being the 40th person at our location to pick up my ballot. I'm guessing it is because I am a fast reader and the fact that if I'm not sure what something is about I don't make a choice, but I was the 39th person to scan my ballot into the machine. I was rather surprised when I entered our polling location though because there was no white (or red, white and blue) curtained booth to enter. Nope, there were about 10 round tables with chairs that you could sit and cast your ballot. Your ballot was in a large, white paper folder and you had to complete the arrow for the candidate you chose. Interesting. Anyhow, I gladly received my "I voted today" sticker and then waited for my husband to finish voting. I can say I've never experienced such a feeling urgency from fellow voters as I did yesterday. That being said, this is the third Presedential election in which I have voted. It didn't matter who you were voting for (well it does) but everyone there wanted to be sure that their opinion was heard-and they were, but the majority of Alabama voters were disappointed with the day's results. .oO(I'd love to be in Ohio right about now to hear how things are playing out there.) I heard on the news today Alabama was only 1 of 20 states voting for McCain. WOW! Even without the electoral college process 20/50 isn't a winning ratio. Ok, stepping off my soapbox now. Anyhow, I voted...we came home and finished watching a movie we had started the night before since I wasn't quite sleepy yet and then I went back to sleep because I was tired.

Ann Taylor Loft called me in to work early and off I went to make some more money and waited to hear the results of the day. When I arrived home at 10:30ish I didn't watch tv right away because I had a few other things to do. Then my mother-in-law came downstairs to announce that Obama was making his acceptance speech. I went into the living room to hear what he had to say, unfortunately I couldn't hear what he had to say because of the complaining going on behind me. Everyone is entitled to their vote and opinion, but I wanted to hear his historical acceptance speech! My opinion about the election is this: we voted, Obama won, now lets get on with the business of living because if you believe that you're living your life according to God's master plan...then this is part of his plan and we need to take that into account. The sky is not falling, at least not yet, so we'll wait and see what happens in the next four years. It isn't like life is fabulous for everyone now-alot may change and nothing may change, but we've got to give our country and our newly elected leader (officially in approx 2.5months) the chance to try. Whether you are upset about the outcome of the election or whether you are praising the outcome, pray for the soon to be leaders of our country that they will do the job to the best of their ability.

Ann Taylor Loft~I went in to work earlier than originally scheduled and since it was rather slow the manager was asking me some questions. She asked about whether I was in school-nope, but I'd love to be a teacher right about now (stinkin' Alabama teacher certification delays). She asked me how many hours I was getting at Bath and Bodyworks-approx 3-6 hrs at the moment (almost worth driving to work). She asked me if I thought I might like to be a key holder to a Loft store. Uh, yes! A key holder is a part-time position that holds managerial type responsibilities. It would mean more guaranteed hours each week, a slight pay raise, and it will give me "official" retail management experience. I have to go through an interview process before any promotion is made, but there is an exciting opportunity available at the moment. Yay! I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Sidenote: I realized I have been in retail for almost 10 years now. It was only during my time in NC that I wasn't in retail. Wow.

Random exciting news, to me anyhow, is that the t-shirt I ordered from www.grunt.com (a site dedicated to USMC apparel and acoutrements) for Veteran's Day finally arrived yesterday! I am sooooo excited about it. Mostly b/c it is a long sleeve t-shirt and I only have 2 others at the moment- an Ohio Univeristy one and an Ohio State one, both in rather sad looking shape. I LOVE my USMC gear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Your blog is great, and I know something about the night elves, they are the race I WOW power leveling when I get my first account:The reclusive Night Elves power leveling[ were the first race to awaken in the World of Warcraft Power Leveling. These shadowy, immortal beings were the first to study magic and let it loose throughout the world nearly ten thousand years before Warcraft I. The Night Elves' reckless use of magic drew the Burning Legion into the world and led to a catastrophic war between the two titanic races. The Night Elves barely managed to banish the Legion from the world, but their wondrous homeland was shattered and drowned by the sea. I love this race and suggested everyone that start their WOW power leveling a rogue or druidof night elf