Saturday, November 15, 2008

Promotion & Passing Word

I've been a teensy bit busy lately thanks to Ann Taylor Loft. I'm actually really excited about being busy, even though it cuts down on the amount of time I have to write. For the past few weeks I have had anywhere from 8-17 scheduled hours, but have also managed to pick up extra shifts from people either being no-call/no-shows, people calling off sick, or ATL being really busy. It has been great and I have been loving it and doing well at helping clients find what they need and maybe some things they don't need too. My manager needed another sales lead (like a part-time manager type gig) to help with the extended holiday hours as well as increased client traffic. I am the lucky recipient of that promotion :) Yay! It means 25-29 hours a week and about a $1 pay increase so that is fabulous. My one goal will be to not spend all the money I make on clothes from ATL....since I'll be there more this may be harder to do. My first spending priority is comfy black dress shoes (like Clarks or something) because while I am certaing God created toes, I am also equally certain the devil invented dress shoes....b/c all of my black shoes hurt my feet and even some of my typically comfy shoes hurt my feet. Sooooo not a great thing when you're on your feet all the time. .oO(Do you like my correct use of you're vs. your? If you don't know the difference please rectify [correct] the situation immediately as it is a pet peeve of mine.)

Also, I have just figured out that word is passed slower in the "F" family (my maiden name starts with an F, just so you know...) than it is in the USMC. I didn't think it was possible for word to pass slower anywhere else, but apparently it is. It is either that or the chain of command is broken in our family. Dave and his fellow Marines had a joke that the commanding officer would tell a mouse the plan for the day (a.k.a. the "word") and then he would release it for his lower ranking officers to find and catch in order to get the word and pass it on to the rest of the Marines. This is why it would be 4pm (or 1600) before Dave would know what he was supposed to do that day even though he had been there since 4am (or 0400). Yes, this story does have a point and I'm getting to it. I learned today (when I talked to my dad for the first time in probably a month) that I have a cousin, Jay, in boot camp at the great Parris Island right now. My dad is supposed to e-mail me his address so I can send him some encouraging mail. Hopefully, if my aunt and uncle aren't able to make it to graduation or even if they can...I might be able to talk my husband into going to watch him graduate from boot camp. .oO(In my mind him not making it through boot camp isn't an option and I'm praying it isn't an option in his mind either.) Now I need to hush up and send an e-mail to my dad to pass on to the rest of the family with things to keep in mind when they write to my cousin. Things like the fact that you shouldn't write anything but the address on the outside of the envelope to save him some poosible unwanted attention from the D.I.'s and that they can mail extra paper and a stamped envelope in the letter as well so Jay can write to whomever he wants. I'm a wealth of knowledge about Marine life in general and if I don't know the answer to a question I can probably find out somehow. So saying a quick prayer that Jay isn't too terribly cold on the island (the sand fleas should be hibernating) and that he sleeps soundly in his rack tonight so he will have the strength to make it through another day of training tomorrow....well tomorrow is Sunday (the Marines really don't take the day off, although recruits are allowed to go to church)....but hopefully he will be rested and endure Monday's training too.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

Yeah - I was surprised to find that out too!