Tuesday, November 11, 2008

USMC Birthday & Veteran's Day

The last two days have been busy and fun ones for Dave and I. Yesterday, November 10th was the 233rd Marine Corps Birthday~for you non-military folk that means that in 1775 the Marine Corps was born in Tun Tavern Philadelphia, PA. I surprised him with a note and a present....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then today was Veteran's Day :) The majority (if not all) area schools were not in session today. Dave and I ventured out for lunch and saw a lot of families enjoying the day together. That is really what our vets have fought or are fighting for-the right for families to enjoy time together in a nation with many freedoms. Our vets have given up their rights to enjoy an abundance of family time in order for other families to enjoy that right and for that I thank them. Last week we went to Cracker Barrel to eat a rather late dinner and I happened to see a soldier and his son playing checkers at one of the tables. It made me smile because I knew they were truly enjoying the time together, but I couldn't help but wonder whether the soldier had recently returned from deployment and when his next deployment was scheduled. .oO(My experiences have forever changed the way I view moments like those.) I had ordered a t-shirt recently to show my support of our veterans...

Photobucket

In other news we were up on the hill shooting recently and I happened to remember to take some pictures. I have been receiving my weapons education very gradually over the past three years thanks to my southern, gun-toting husband. When we first started shooting I was a decent shot, but not fabulous...still not fabulous really. However, I have been able to determine what type of weapon I would like to own-a Glock 19. It is the one weapon Dave owns that I can pick up and shoot with a decent level of accuracy every time. I shoot the best when I have a target that I can see clearly where I hit. I was pretty good this time around, 17 of the 20 rounds I shot hit the target. The other three were just outside the target.

Photobucket
Me in my pink ear pro!

Photobucket
My target before we started.

Photobucket
My target after the first 10 rounds...9 of them hit. If you look closely you'll see there were a couple that hit twice very near each other :)

Hope everyone who had Veteran's Day off enjoyed it and remembered to thank a vet!

No comments: