Thursday, September 4, 2008

So many things to blog about...

I haven't blogged in over a month! It isn't because I haven't had the time or I haven't had things to blog about, I just seemed to be stuck in writer's block mode any time I sat down at the computer. There are so many things to blog about I even started making lists...but now I can't find them so I'll do my best to go from memory.

Sarah Palin~I must admit I've felt rather "blah" about the Presidential election so far this year. I voted in the primaries for Obama, mostly because I didn't want Hilary to be on the ticket. I am VERY glad she isn't. All of that changed tonight when my mother-in-law asked, "are you going to watch Sarah's speech?" Well, I honestly hadn't planned on it or even knew she was going to speak...I'm that out of the political loop :) (Scary that I get to vote, huh?) I watched with a critical eye and was very impressed. I don't agree with her stance on all issues, but one rarely agrees with everything a politician says. I love the fact that she isnt afraid to say things or give her own rebuttle to the media. I love that she has made some great accomplishments in her state government. I love that she "talks funny" (accents are a big thing for me since my northern and southern are all intermixed at this point and I feel like a mess). I love that she looked so put together and polished (I desire to look that put together and feel I rarely accomplish it.) One thing I spent half her speech wondering about was "how did she get into that darn jacket?" I had missed her entrance and the way the camera was angled the front looked like a solid piece and I couldn't find any hidden zipper...I knew it wasn't magic. Finally, at the end I saw that there was a flap at the front with buttons or hooks on the inside of it. (I'm silly I know.) At any rate, I like Sarah Palin and I like that her kids are already showing their quirks and flaws. Nobody is perfect and children aren't perfect either. My favorite "action shot" can be seen here of Sarah's youngest daughter holding her baby brother. My first reaction was "oh no she didn't" and then immediate laughter.

Job~So, it is looking like I may be a very part-time employee of Bath and Bodyworks once again. Currently, part-time employees are only getting sometimes 3 hours a week...but they need help with floorsets and then the holiday season will be here before we know it. I truly enjoyed my time as a BBW employee and look forward to possibly rejoining the company. It isn't ideal simply because the hours are so few, but I'm willing to try it and see where it takes me. I need some time out of the house and feeling productive. I'm still searching for something else that will provide enough stable income that we can leave the in-laws house...but it seems to be slow happenings here in Alabama. (They always said things moved slower in the south, they weren't kidding.)

USMC Life~Is missed at times, which I find crazy since I was counting down the days until it was over. Mostly, I miss all of the guys who used to gather at out house on the weekends and during holidays to eat, drink, and be merry. We all had so much fun together. I was really surprised when Dave didn't re-enlist. I thought for sure that June 1st would roll around and he would decide to stay with the Corps. I still kind of wonder whether we might end up back in the Corps at some point. And even if possibly the reason things haven't worked out quite the way we wanted them to is because we are supposed to go back to the USMC. (I've been praying for a sign of what we are supposed to be doing and some guidance...and I'm just not seeing it, but I'm afraid to ask for a big one because when Katie asked for one her car broke down on the highway.) I love and enjoy the fact that Dave is here with me now and that we get so much time together, which I know would be gone the minute the USMC had him back...but still I wonder...are we where God wants us?

Books~I have done nothing but read, read, read everything I can get my hands on. A lot of it has been military related. It started two years ago when I read The Gift of Valor: A War Story about Cpl Dunham and his journey from being wounded in Iraq to his parent's decision to turn off his life support. I remember sitting in the food court at Pentagon City Mall wiping the tears from my eyes as I read the last pages of this book. That summer I also read Marines in the Garden of Eden about the initial invasion into Iraq. Much of this book was technical terminology that I didn't always understand at the time. However, it gave me great insight into what Marines and other service members experienced almost from their perspective rather than the media's. I also read Blackhawk Down that summer. I enjoyed all of these books, but when Dave received orders to Camp Lejeune we knew deployment was inevitable and I stopped reading military literature mostly as a desperate attempt to keep me sane. This summer I was finally able to embrace military literature, mostly about Marines of course, once again. I read Generation Kill by Evan Wright who was an embedded journalist. His articles turned into the book, which is now an HBO miniseries. I loved his candid retelling of events and descriptions of what things were like. I don't know if it just because I know and love Marines or if he really tells the story that well...but I found myself laughing out loud at some parts, wincing during others, and nearly crying at some points for the things the Marines saw, endured, and the memories they now live with. I felt like it gave some insight into the mind of the warrior Marine and what it really means for a Marine to "do his job" and how they feel when the realities of their job go against things they have been taught their whole lives. One thing that still sticks out after reading this book, that I hope by now has been corrected, but when they first invaded Iraq the plans were kind of on the fly. They had West Coast (Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton) and East Coast (Marines stationed at Camp Lejeune) that were units set to invade Iraq together, but their communications equipment was encrypted so that those Marines could communicate within their own "coasts," but not with each other. It made for some tricky situations that sometimes led to a little friendly fire. At any rate, if you read any one of these books my vote is for Generation Kill simply because it tells the human side of war, not just the basic logistics. Be prepared though and keep in mind this is a book about war and Marines...meaning gruff, tough, guys. I am delighted to have received my latest book in the mail thanks to Amazon.com entitled Keeping Faith: A Father-Son Story About Love and the USMC written by Frank and John Schaeffer. My mother read it and it comes with high recommendations.

Ok, I think that is enough for one post. Hopefully I'll write more soon.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

A little thought -
Just because the road ahead is tough or unclear, doesn't necessarily mean you aren't supposed to be there. That's easier for me to say to you, than me to say to myself...but it's true. Think of the Israelites. In the desert things got hard and they started questioning where they were going and why and even considered going back to Egypt/slavery. But it was right for them to keep going. Try looking for all the blessings God's provided since you moved. I don't know one way or the other about re-enlisting, but I bet you'll see that God is taking care of your every need - even if it's not the way you would have expected or wanted.
Well, now that was more than a little thought, but oh well...Hugs from me. : )