Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Personal Diet Plan Designed By My Sister

My sister Katie has lost a lot of weight since high school and she has muscles where I didn't know muscles could exist...like that flabby part of your upper arm that flaps every time you wave~hers doesn't flap. The weight loss and muscle building is due to her diligence in eating only healthy foods and running like a machine every day. It makes me tired just thinking about her exercise schedule. I have been wanting to "slim down" since my weight is on a constant yo-yo of heavy, then thin, then heavy, then thin, then heavy... So I asked Katie to send my a plan. She kindly sent me a plan...and I laughed. I love my sister dearly, but she has a lot of willpower. Here is the plan she sent me (I've added my commentary in bold print and I've fixed her grammar and capitalization or lack thereof).

Ok so eating schedule....
Breakfast
snack
Lunch
snack
Dinner
(Hmmm...so I can really have snacks each day, wow I've been
trying to limit snacks.)



Try and do 500 calorie meals and 250 calorie snacks and remember that
all calories are not created equal. (I knew there was a catch to
those snacks.)



Give up sugar, sweets, and pop....it'll be rough...and no more pop tarts...
Try replacing cereal with oatmeal (Uh, no sugar? I'm addicted to
sugar! I can't simply do without sugar completely!)



I would suggest a power bar or a slim fast for breakfast....or drink a glass of
milk with a bowl oatmeal. (But I don't like oatmeal.) Long story
short it adds
protein which sustains hunger unlike carbs that give you
a burst of energy and
then leave you feeling hungry in an hour. Replace
2% with skim and white with wheat.
(But skim milk is gross.)

Do low fat dressings but beware a lot of low fat products replace fat with
sugar...yikes. No more fast food...it's just bad. (I don't like to cook all
the time.)
Opt for subway.. pitas etc. Start studying the calorie content
of your
favorite foods and fast food restaurants...then google how long it
would take to
walk/run that off....a slice of Goodfellas (pizza, yummy!)
would take an hour
and forty minutes to run off at 7mph. You better
believe that keeps my drunk
self in check. Avoid drinking your calories.
You should prob consume around 2400 a day.
On a diet keep it at 2000.
1lb of weight loss equals 3000 calories.

(There are so many rules....and who knew it took so long
to burn off calories.)



Walk or do some sort of cardio 4 times a week. Buy some free weights...
5 lbs
to start and then I'll send you some exercise stuff. (I don't like
sweating. End of story.)


The slim fast for breakfast and sometimes lunch works for me very well,
but it's
basically all about a limited calorie intake. Its around 200
calories and it
suppresses hunger cause it's loaded with protein plus
it has all my vitamins so
I dont have to take supplements. Just
make sure you get all your
vitamins...your body will cooperate with
weight loss more nicely if you get 7
hours of sleep a night, are less
stressed and are getting all your vitamins.

(Yeah, and in a perfect world I would be a
size 10~or smaller~naturally.)


Weight loss is about diet as much as exercise ...without both you will
get
like a d-...hahaha. (Thanks for the failing grade before I've
even begun. I know an F is actually failing, but a D- after
college just isn't acceptable.)


I know it's rough...I spend an hour every day in Ping (the fitness
center on campus)
and sometimes I'm grumpy or I think my
spandex pants
(You wear spandex? No one should wear
spandex, bean pole or not.)
might split down the back or I
wonder if
that skinny, blonde chick is just running next to me
to feel better about herself...
keep running...so to speak. (I
know
I have blogged about my treadmill difficulties
...if not I'll fix that.)
It's hard and you may get
discouraged..keep going...
email me.


Tell me what foods you like i.e. pizza ...french fries...broccoli...idk
and I will
send you substitutes...alternatives...etc


:):):)

That is the end of my dear Katie's e-mail. I like ice cream, chocolate,
hot fudge,
whip cream, and sprinkles. I don't think she'll approve of
that or that she will
consider it part of my diet and exercise plan. I
admire her tenacity, but I think
I'll take her advice in doses and see
what I can do with it now that I am living in
the land of all foods are
better fried, aka "the south."

2 comments:

heather said...

Dieting is no fun. I have also struggled with my weight then I had kids and it was even harder. I agree with your sister and think of it as things I only eat sometimes and things I eat most of the times that way you don't feel like you are giving up something forever. I loved your added comments.

Peapod Four said...

Too funny. I would fail lower than an F. Negative grade for sure. I don't even know where to begin commenting on how I could never keep up with that plan! : )