Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Very Own College Student

I have my very own college student, my husband. I have been talking about how much he needs to go to college for at least three years now. The time finally arrived now that he is out of the USMC to be a college student. Going to college is his only "full time job" as far as I am concerned. He is working at Domino's on Friday and Saturday nights right now and we're hoping a job for me turns up so that college can continue to be his job. My job has been to support him and make sure he gets his assignments done with assistance as needed.

I have been earning my title of supporter the whole way. The first time I had to be supportive was when he had a paper to write for his art appreciation class. He had to research a mask and write a one page paper about it. He started completing the work by himself at the pool house. About a half hour into his research he calls me on my cell phone to ask a question. I end up going up to the pool house to look at what he had found in order to answer the question. Once I'm there he ends up asking me to stay up there while he completes his research. I end up falling asleep on the loveseat that is in the pool house while he did his research and wrote the paper. Then came my job of typing his paper-which he is going to have to learn to do soon! All of that for the completion of one assignment.

His latest task was to complete a poster board to go along with his paper about the mask. I again traveled up to the pool house with him to provide moral support. I took along a bag of misc papers, bills, receipts, etc. that needed sorting. I sorted and filed while he printed off the pictures he wanted to put on his board. Then he began cutting out his pictures. He was doing fine until he came to a picture with rounded edges. He began cutting, reached the rounded edge, hesitated, and then passed me the picture along with the scissors. I cut that picture out and handed the scissors back to him so he could finish cutting the others out. Next it was time to attach the pictures to his piece of foam board. I didn't have a glue stick for him to use, but I did have glue dots from my scrapbooking stuff that he could use. I showed him how to use them on the first corner of the picture and then set them down and walked off. He says "but I still have more corners." I said "I am not doing it for you, I gave you direction and now you need to finish it." So he finished the other three corners and said "it looks like a 5 yr old did it." Yes dear it does, keep working. It took about three hours, but the board is finally complete. He kept asking questions about what he should do or how he should do it...I think it was an attempt to get me to do it, but it didn't work. He did the whole thing by himself...with me in the room for moral support. (One wise Marine mom I relayed the story to told me "he's used to working with a unit, not by himself. You're his new unit!") I think it is going to be a very long college career (and I have no idea how I'll manage to work too) if I have to sit around while he does everything.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

If you're gonna start writing all the time, you have to give me a heads up! I'm three posts behind in reading! : 0