Thursday, September 11, 2008

Dance Related Memories


Some of you may know this and others may be surprised to hear that I used to take dance lessons as a child. I was reminded of some silly happenings and fun memories when I read my cousin's tale of venturing out to find tap shoes, ballet slippers, a leotard, and pink tights for her daughter. Finding dance apparel isn't always easy as you can tell from her post. Here are some things I remember or learned while taking dance classes once upon a time, in a land far from Alabama.

#1 Never show Nana your tap routine by tapping on her kitchen floor.

The story may not be what you expect. I took dance classes at Susan Powell Dance Studio in Minerva, OH and as far as I am aware they are still teaching youngsters how to dance. One day after my lessons (I was maybe 4-5yrs old at the time) we went to my Nana's house. I was eager to "show off" what I had learned and Nana was always eager to see what her grandchildren were up to. I put on my tap shoes and began tapping away on the kitchen floor. Nana didn't care that I was tapping on her floor. I didn't care either. Not until I slipped b/c my tap shoe was too slick on the kitchen floor and I fell, but on the way down I hit the back of my head on the kitchen chair. I knocked myself out! I scared my Nana half to death because I apparently stopped breathing too. My Nana and my Mom rushed me to the hospital to have me checked out. Turns out I may have had a slight concussion, but they released me and I didn't have any lasting long term damage that we know about.

#2 Keep dancing no matter what happens!

This event occurred a few years into my dance career and I had changed to a studio in Salem, OH where I also took baton lessons and we performed in parades. It was time for our annual recital and we always had a dress rehearsal the day before so that everyone knew what to expect and they could make sure our costumes looked ok. (They always had parts that needed sewn together...even though the costumes were outrageously priced for a snazzy leotard and some sequins.) It was my group's turn on stage to practice. We went out on stage and started tapping. I "shuffle stepped" so hard that my tap shoe flew off! I kept right on tapping until out routine was over...even though I was missing a shoe. My dance teacher was impressed, but it was something I had learned during my time at Susan Powell. "No matter what happens keep dancing!" OK.

#3 Big bows, ruffles, and sequins are a must! Tutus optional. (No panties either :O )

Also part of the costume or performance were the HUGE bows that were a color chosen to match the costume that we wore as the "laces" to our tap shoes. I think a mom or someone went and bought enough ribbon for all the girls and they handed them out right before the dress rehearsal. Then it was Mom's job to tie them in a big bow. (Probably another reason my shoe flew off...it was only being held on by a big bow.) The ones in the picture aren't too bad...but there are some pictures where the bows are bigger than my feet at the time. Ruffles and sequins belonged on every costume. And then the worst part about dancing...for the recital you were absolutely forbidden from wearing anything under your leotard because then you would have panty lines. Ick. If you you exceptionally unlucky you had to wear tights with your costume as well.

#4 Recital costumes range from insanely cute to outrageously ridiculous.

I have had several different costumes throughout the dancing adventure. My favorite costume was a yellow bikini with black polka dots and fushcia sequins. If we ever move our stuff out of storage I will have to see if I have a picture of this costume. It is one costume that made it to my toy pile (read toy mountain) and every time I would unbury either half of it I would have to put it on. Did I mention the bottom half had a HUGE butt ruffle too? Another costume was the purple one you see in the picture with this post. I think we had this costume the year after we had the yellow polka dot bikinis. Then the costume I had during the shoe flying incident was a bunny costume. We had white sleeveless leotards that had some sort of decoration on the front in pink. We had white "sleeves" that went from wrist to upper arm. There was a nice ruffly white tutu complete with sequins on the end of the ruffles. To top off the costume we had nice playboy bunnyesque ears attached to a head band. I'm sure whoever chose the costume found it to be adorable, but looking back at the pictures in recent years we looked a little floozy. I have pics of that costume floating around somewhere in storage as well.

Hmmm...I think those are the highlights of my time in dance lessons. If I remember correctly the bunny costume occurred the last year that I faithfully attended dance lessons. My interest fizzled after that.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

I LOVE it!!!!
That picture is adorable!
I think I actually remember your bunny costume. I must've seen pictures at some point.

One lady left me a comment on the dance post that, in part, reminded me how slick tap shoes are on hard wood floors.

Speaking of slipping at Nana's - when we were there in January, I was at her house by myself with just Daniel, who was sleeping one night. I started down the steps from the kitchen to the dining room and my foot slid right off the bottom second step. My feet went forward to the dining room floor and I landed on my back against the steps. It hurt for a week. Her house is dangerous! : )