Thursday, December 11, 2008

"I Go Back"

So I was driving home from work (and lately I've been listening to country music again at times) and I heard Kenny Chesney's song "I Go Back" and it made me think about a lot songs that take me back to special times, make me remember a special memory, or make me think of someone special. I thought I would share a list of songs that take me back. (If you click on the titles of the songs it will take you to a YouTube video of the songs so you can enjoy them if you would like.) This song itself always reminds me of a friend, Derek Sommers, who passed away in a car accident our sophomore year of high school. The lyric about the song only the good die young reminds him of the loss of a real good friend and the 16 summers he shared with him is the one that always brings Derek's smiling 16 yr. old face to mind. I say a quick prayer for his parents and wonder how they are doing.

Jack and Diane by John (Cougar) Mellancamp is also mentioned in Kenny's song, but this song always reminds me of my dad. My dad was always listening to a Mellancamp song. I know all the words to more than a few of the songs, but this one is a favorite of mine. It also reminds me of a time when my dad was "on his own" with my sisters and I for the weekend. (This is pre-divorce and Mom was gone on a ladies retreat or something.) Dad was making lunch and made really soupy mashed potatoes. We ate them anyway...or tried to. We also had the radio on while we were cooking and I remember dad singing and dancing into a large spoon. It was hilarious. .oO(It should be noted my memory is fuzzy so the singing and the soupy potatoes could really be two different times, but they are meshed together in my mind.) His love of John Cougar Mellancamp rubbed off on me and I now have "seeing John Mellancamp in concert" as one of the things I'd like to to before John Mellancamp or I die. Not sure if I'll manage to get that one crossed off the list or not though.

Life is a Highway is a song that reminds me of Scott Myer, a dear friend-who was more than a friend at one time-but he passed away suddenly. It was most recently recorded by Rascal Flatts, but I (and he probably would too, knowing him) prefer Chris LeDoux's version. I love Rascal Flatts and I enjoy their version of the song, but Chris just added something special to the song...or maybe it was just me. Scott and I were lucky enough to go see a Chris LeDoux concert at the Indiana State Fair one year. I've never seen anything quite like it and I doubt I ever will again. It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to and I never would have known who Chris LeDoux was if Scott hadn't loved his songs the way he did. Another favorite Chris LeDoux song is Western Skies...it is such a peaceful and relaxing song-but YouTube didn't have it so I couldn't share it.

This One's For the Girls by Martina McBride always makes me think of my mom, Katie and Maggie and the craziness of our house when we all get together. I love it because it describes a "girl's" life at all ages and celebrates the fact that they are "beautiful the way they are." Because we are. This song also makes me miss "my girls" (mom, Katie, and Maggie) a lot lately. Shhh, don't tell them, but I've been known to tear up a bit when I hear it on the radio in recent days. I miss those girls. Hopefully Santa will bring me an airplane ticket for Christmas.

God Bless the Broken Road
by Rascal Flatts will always remind me of "Bivins" and the wonderful, heartbreaking, soul searching, blessed journey that led me to a married life with him. I love the chorus about "every long lost dream led me to where you are, others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars, pointing me on my way into your loving arms, this much I know is true, that God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you." I've said it many times, there was no other way for Dave and I to meet and fall in love than with God's intervention/plan. All of the previous heartaches and heartbreaks we endured taught us lessons about love and life that made us better partners in our marriage. I'm so thankful to have him in my life~whether he is near or far from me~because he is my anchor. He reminds me to lighten up sometimes, he reminds me I'm loved and cared for, and he only wants the best for me (and my family). I think if we had chosen a "first dance" song for our wedding (if we had done a tradition style wedding & reception) this may have been the song to receive my vote. Not sure what "Bivins" would have chosen.

Rascal Flatts songs in general hold a lot of meaning for me. They always manage to come out with a song that is perfect for whatever I am going through at the time. I'm Movin' On came out around the time we moved from northern Ohio to southern Ohio. It was a chance to leave the past behind and make some changes to venture out on my own a bit. The move gave me a chance to "start over" in a new place with people who didn't know me or my family for my entire life. They weren't aware of all the details of my parents divorce and hadn't formed an opinion about what kind of person I was based upon my last name. I could share the mistakes I had made with people on my own terms. It was refreshing! .oO(And it prepared me for many more moves to new places...with people I didn't know and traditions I didn't know anything about.) Mayberry reminds me of "Brookie-Lou," Brandon and Britt when they were much younger (Scott's neices and nephews) and lil Brook singing "sitting on the porch, drinking ice cold cherry coke." (Coke is the one word she would say well...she was maybe 3 or 4?) It was too cute.

My Ruca
by Sublime is definitely a Turtle song. Dave began singing this song to me very early on in our relationship. I loved it! He would also do his infamous "turtle dance" when he sang it. I had wanted to record him doing this prior to his deployment so I could watch in on days I missed him terribly (which probably would have been every day, lol), but I didn't get a chance to do it before they left. He's home now though so I can sometimes get away with a special request. It makes me smile. I never listened to Sublime until I met Dave. I love their music now.

Glycerine by Bush reminds me of either a Jr. High or High school dance when Felix Orbit played. For those of you who weren't blessed enough to go to school with me (j/k) should know that it was a band put together by some fellow classmates-Sam Courtney, Nathaniel (Something...), and the Henceroth boys (there may have been someone else too, but I can't remember). I remember wearing a flannel shirt, I was a teensy bit fashion challenged in those days-still am if you ask my sisters.

All I Want to Do
by Sugarland is a song that makes me happy. When I first heard the song I was underwhelmed...but boy has it grown on me! If it comes on the radio during my lovely 45 minute commute to/from work then I crank up the radio and sing at the top of my lungs "ooh-ooh-ooh-ohh....." and bob my head and bounce in my seat. I love this song! .oO(I'm sure I must make some people laugh when I sing in the car to this song...I try to restrain myself if I'm driving "in town.")

Ok, I think I've shared enough songs with you for one night. There is one final song I would like to share though, especially since my last blog about decorating for the holidays was kind of blah about my lack of excitement at the holidays.

Silent Night always makes me think of Christmas Eve services at Trinity Friends Church and the First Christian Church. We always ended the service with candle lighting and singing Silent Night. I'm sharing Faith Hill's version of this song, but I am sure there are a lot of other equally beautiful versions of this song. I think it just might be one of my favorite Christmas songs.

So...about sharing one last song I thought of a few more holiday songs to share that I do actually like.

Mary Did You Know just leaves me in awe. Can you imagine being the mother of a savior? If Mary had known all that her son would endure, would she have done anything differently? Oh and this song reminds me of my best friend (since before kindergarten) "Snickles" and her sisters. They sang it more than once at our church when we were growing up. It is such a lovely song though. The version I chose from YouTube has some great scenes in it.

Last Christmas is apparently a classic 80's Wham song. You should really check out the video if you would like an instant 80's flashback. It is the song that Katie, Maggie, and I could die happy if we never heard again. It is the song we would call from shoes to jewelry or vice versa to sing to each other at the oh-so-wonderful Z-ville Sears. Thank goodness we don't work there anymore. I had to laugh though when I sent out a text to the family to have them remind me what the "horrible song from Sears' holiday mix that we would annoy each other with" was and Maggie let me know that they are playing it at Staples this holiday season. (She happens to work at Staples this year.) Note to Self: Don't enter a Staples until January...that might be hard since I adore school supplies...but I think I can manage.

O Holy Night is my mother's absolute favorite Christmas song. Whenever I hear any version of this song I think of her. It is the one song she told me I must learn how to play on my flute. I did indeed learn how to play it (have you seen my mother upset? j/k) and she loved it. .oO(Of course she loved it, I was playing it, lol.) One of my favorite versions of O Holy Night is sung by Martina McBride so that is the version I am sharing with you.

This blog took a few days to create so I hope you enjoy it. I never managed to have enough time all at once the past few days to get it done.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

How is it that you have no comments on this post? I might have to steal the theme sometime - great idea!

First - Life is a Highway is HUGE at our house. You should hear Daniel sing it!

Second - I didn't like All I Want To Do either, at first. But Brenna did. And now we all like it. And we all sing it in the car too. Even Daniel. I guess at some point I need to start watching lyrics before I have to answer certain questions...but maybe I'll just cross the bridge when we get to it.

The thought of your dad singing in the kitchen with a spoon and soupy potatoes is a very funny mental picture!!!!