Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday Update

Working in retail can sometimes kill the joy and excitement of the Christmas season. I was never a person who was crazy about Christmas to begin with. You can ask my mom, I'll give you her phone number if you really don't believe me, but I really enjoyed sleeping in on Christmas and could care less about presents. I figured if they were there at 6am, they would still be there at noon when I got up...they had my name on them, didn't they? .oO(Yes, I know Christmas isn't all about presents...) I don't enjoy shopping this time of year either. In fact, Dave tried to get all of our shopping done before Thanksgiving, which at the time I thought a little overzealous...until I remembered I hate shopping for presents. I think we only have a few more things to buy, I have some checks to write, and a box to mail to the grand O-H...I-O.

I really despise Christmas music as well. It is another side effect of working retail for waaaayyy to many Christmas' because all of the stores get together and pick out the same 1-2hr playlist of songs and then they find the most terrible renditions of those songs to play in their stores nationwide. Wal-Mart has been playing Christmas music since Nov. 1st. Grrrrrrr! I hate Wal-Mart! (But sadly I know exactly where to find everything I need there, darnit.) I can't quite remember which song it is, but I'm hoping my dear sisters will remind me, about a particular song that we all 3 disliked greatly while working at Sears during Christmas. We would call each other and share the hideousness of the song...and we all knew the lyrics by heart when Christmas finally rolled around. .oO(I think Sears uses the same Christmas playlist every year...so after 5 Christmas' you really don't like those songs.)

Anyhow, this was a horrible way to start off a blog about the Christmas season, but I thought you should get an idea for my feelings about it up front. As you know (if you've read the past 2 blogs) Dave was deployed last year. I boycotted Christmas and did not put up our tree or decorate the house in any way...except by maybe putting up a delightful wreath I had purchased the year before at K-Mart for no more than $20. .oO(I refused to spend a ridiculous amount on decorations and our door looked so pretty decked out for the holiday.) I boycotted Christmas for a variety of reasons...#1 I didn't want to bother putting the tree up and then having to take it down right before he came home. #2 I was headed home for Christmas anyhow...p.s. Mom didn't put up a tree either though so I bought a table sized tree instead for her - also on sale from Hobby Lobby. #3 My cats are little terrors and try to eat/climb in/knock over the tree. I have pictures to prove it! (I just need to find them.) So this year the whole "B" clan will be gathered together. And like I said in a previous blog I am learning the traditions of his family. I have already been to storage and located our Christmas stockings to put up once we decorate. I'll have to take pics since many of you haven't seen the lovely stocking I made Dave for our first Christmas as a married couple. It coordinates nicely with a stocking my great-grandmother (Granny) made me when I was only a baby. We haven't put up the tree yet b/c it is only the 2nd day of December and we need to clear a space for it. Also, Bonnie would like a real tree...which means this shall be a real adventure for my tree climbing, light eating, destructive fur babies. Our goals will be to keep the tree alive, keep the cats out of the tree water and the tree, keep the ornaments in tact on the tree, and keep the tree standing. I'll update you on the progress. We did however manage to decorate the church.

It is apparently tradition for a group of ladies to gather together and decorate the church for Christmas. I was lucky enough to join them this year and I managed to remember my camera so I can show you pics. I arrived a little late since I had to work that afternoon, but I made it there in time to help and had a great time. So below are some pictures of the creativeness of the ladies.

Photobucket
Bonnie & Maja working their magic on the garland.

Photobucket
They didn't have enough magic so Ginger & Heather had to help. .oO(Really they didn't have enough hands.)

Photobucket
Ginger working on the other side. Chrissy talking on the phone while getting ready to iron.

Photobucket
Doesn't the garland look delightful?

Photobucket
One of the trees at the front of the church.

We had a great time socializing and decorating. It was fun to be a part of this tradition this year. I also made progress and "decorated" my blog :)

2 comments:

Peapod Four said...

Well now, first of all, "Bah Humbug to you too." : ) Secondly, I hate shopping for Christmas presents and getting up early that morning too. I do avoid the song overload, though, because we do about 75% of our shopping online.

By the way, how does your mother-in-law feel about your cats in her house? Just wondering.

I like the garland you guys did at church. I don't know who does the decorating at our new church - it just magically appears one Sunday. It's probably the men's group, huh? ;-)

TurtlesButterfly said...

My MIL doesn't mind the cats. Their outside pets come inside a lot so the outside pets sometimes have to "fight" for their territory when they come in, but overall it is pretty good. She might mind them a little more when the litter box is stinky though, lol.

Magical decorations are the best kind b/c you don't have to fuss with them.