Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sweet HOME Alabama

Did you notice the capital HOME? That is because we finally have a place and a space of our own. We moved the boxes into the spare room on Easter Sunday and then I moved more stuff the next day. Slowly we have been unpacking those boxes. Very slowly. Do I care? Nope. I think we only have one more box of kitchen stuff to unpack. Oh-we can't find the microwave...or the toaster oven. I'm pretty sure the microwave was in its own box, but there is no box listed on the packing log as having the microwave inside. (Not that the packing log was all that detailed anyhow...) We'll eventually find them-or buy a new one if we don't, but it is rather annoying not being able to figure out where it is. I've even asked my friend Anna who helped me pack and asked Katie and Maggie. At any rate, I'm not stressing about anything. I figure this move will go like all the others. We'll unpack the necessary boxes and when it is time to move again some of our boxes will still be packed :)

I have really been looking forward to unpacking my box of doodads. It is a box that holds items very near and dear to my heart, thanks to my Grandma. When Dave and I got married one of our presents was a "box of doodads" and she enclosed a letter to explain what they were. It reads as follows:

Dear Wendy & David:

Wherever you are together from now on, that is where home will be.

Every home needs a few keepsakes, or doodads as my Grandma called them, to be set out or hung up which will proclaim to the world that "this place is home to us at this time."

These few doodads are to remind you of some of the special people in Wendy's life. One was made by your Mom for me many years ago. One was bought by me at a flea market, because you were playing the flute at the time, and I was really proud of you. One belonged to Daadoo, and the other Grandpa and I thought was the perfect place to keep a picture of "The Kiss," which is about the cutest wedding picture we've ever seen.

I hope you collect a few more doodads from other parts of your families, so that you will remember where your "roots" are while you are living your new life together, which I'm sure that God planned for you when he gave you life!!

Love,
Grandma


This box has become one of my most cherished possessions. I always make sure it is tucked away safely before each move. Once we arrive in a new place these are the things that I find a place for that makes it feel like home. Just like Grandma said I have added a few things along the way...


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is the end of the "originals"...

Photobucket

Mrs. B gave us this plate and we have had it in our DC apt, Nc townhouse, and was the first thing put on the wall so far.

Photobucket

These magnets were given to me by Jean M...but I can't remember if I had them in DC or not. I don't think so...but I love them b/c they are butterflies with some of my life's mottos "Live. Love. Hope."

Photobucket

This Turtle joined the family in DC and was the first of the turtle & butterfly combos we have found so far...

Photobucket

This turtle joined us in NC as our front porch decoration. The Carolina sun has taken its toll on it. So did Lou Dog as he chewed off a butterfly that was attached by a spring coil to the larger turtle. It is how people knew which townhouse was ours...and now which home is ours.

The unpacking has only just begun, but I'm sure you will hear a lot more about it and see many more pics as we go along. For now, we're happy and enjoying this "place and space of our own" because...
Photobucket

2 comments:

Peapod Four said...

That is such a special wedding present!! I wish I'd read this post before Stephen and Kristin got married. Although, I don't know what I'd actually put in a box like that. But I love it!

dulcimom30 said...

Wendy....Now that I have dried the tears to the point that I can see the screen, I'll tell you how moved I was when I read your "Sweet HOME Alabama" blog. Write and tell me about your new home. I am glad that you still have your doodads and have added to them.

Love, Grandma