Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Really Good Day

Yesterday was a really good day. Dave and I both happened to have the day off and we didn't have any obligations at all. Days like those are rare. Mostly because we typically have a to do list a mile long when we have a day off together.

We started the day by sleeping in. We both actually slept in, another rare occurrence because Dave rarely sleeps late. It was so nice. We finally got out of bed and watched an episode of LOST. We finished watching the first season on Netflix. (I have seen a few episodes here and there and Dave watched all of season one when he was deployed with the MEU.) Then Dave went to change the oil in one of the vehicles while I decided to shower and get ready for the day. Our next stop was BassPro Shops to pick up Dave's paycheck and then off to the bank to get it cashed. We decided it was time to stop for dinner at El Cazador before heading up to Trussville. In Trussville we went to Best Buy because Dave has some reward coupons to use. We meandered around TJMaxx as well and I found a clock and two more things to finish up the redecorated bathroom. (The only thing it still needs is a curtain for the odd sized window. I'm going to have to sew one. I must sew one soon...) We hit up PetSmart to get some goodies for the boys. They needed a new scratch box, some treats, nail clippers, and some food. It was really wonderful to just meander around without any real time crunch.

We gave the boys their new scratch box when we got home. Zeus absolutely loved the catnip we sprinkled in it too. He decided he loves to sit on the scratch box and sniff it. Poor dear.

About 11pm or so I decided to finally put up our Christmas tree. I had so much fun decorating it. This is the first time in two years I have decorated our tree. (I boycotted a tree the year Dave was deployed.) I thoroughly enjoyed unwrapping the ornaments from many years ago and those from the recent past. I would exclaim with joy "cookie monster, oh how I missed you" and "yay, the butterfly ornaments" and "oh, the turtles ornaments." I decided to take a few pictures of some of my absolute favorite Christmas ornaments that I look forward to seeing each year.

My First Christmas

Photobucket

I love this ornament because the bear comes out of the cradle. I loved to play with this little bear. My mom has stories I am sure. I remember getting into trouble for stealing the bear out of the cradle.

Rudolph

Photobucket

My kindergarten teacher Mrs. Dickey made this for me. She was one of my favorite teachers.

Mittens!

Photobucket

I have a thing for mittens...I love them. All kinds of mittens, even mittens attached by a string. I admired these mittens on both my mother's and my grandma's Christmas trees. When my grandma heard how much I love them she gave me a set from her tree and I treasure them. (Actually, she gave them to a boyfriend of mine at the time to surprise me.) One of the mittens has a penny in it. It was how I knew which pair belonged to me when my set hung on my mom's tree.

Red, White & Blue Heart

Photobucket

I know this is a newer addition to our collection, but I can't quite recall how long we have had it. There is also an eagle with an olive branch that matches it. I am 99% certain Mrs. B bought them for us our first year in NC, but my memory can't quite remember. I love it because it, along with so many other ornaments on our tree, remind me of our time spent in active duty USMC life. It also reminds me to pray for those currently serving-here and farther away-and their families.


This is what out tree looks like this year...

Photobucket

Shortly after I finished decorating our tree I realized it had begun snowing outside. So we rushed outside to play while it lasted. God must have known I needed that snowy reminder to make it feel more like home here. .oO(Where I grew up a December without snow is rare. It happens every couple of years or so, but not too often.) So it was a really, really good day.

1 comment:

Peapod Four said...

Your tree is so pretty!
I remember the mittens too - I think my mom must have had some too.