Thursday, December 10, 2009

Not Just Cats

If you say they're just cats-you're wrong. They are cats, but they are ornery cats. Most people don't really believe me when I say I have my hands full at the moment so here are a few stories to let you know only a bit of what goes on in this house of 2 cats. Most of these stories center around Zeus, but Zeke is just as ornery.

Christmas Tree~Each December (ok, really only 3 Decembers now) I worry about what my cats are going to to do the tree and/or my other decorations. The very first year we put up a tree Zeus decided to chew on the lights. Seriously. Both of them decided to try and sleep in the tree, which may not have been a bad idea, but we bought a pre-lit inexpensive tree and so the branches weren't real sturdy. They bent. A lot. Some branches still have not made it back to their original height, but with careful and artistic arrangement the tree doesn't look like it has been attacked by two cats.

This year I discovered my darling Zeus has been snacking on my tree skirt. I love my tree skirt! It was one of the things we received as a present at the Ohio wedding reception. I couldn't have picked out a prettier tree skirt if I tried. (It is red silky type material with silvery trim and little flowery bead designs every so often across it.) Well, my little orange furball has been snacking on the beads. I heard snap snap and looked down just in time to see him cut the thread with his claw and swallow a bead. Grrrrr! So I swatted him on the head. He looks at me and moves on to the next bead. So I squirted him with the squirt bottle and he ran. I won that battle, although I think he may be winning the war as fewer beads are left on the tree skirt. My mom was highly concerned about Zeus' digestive abilities and the beads. Please don't worry they are very small beads so he should be fine and if he isn't I've decided he shall just suffer as punishment for eating my tree skirt. (It should be noted that if he was truly suffering I would do something about it...but for now since he is not suffering I say he can explode for all I care.) It was after this story that my mother said "you don't have cats, you have toddlers." Yes. I do, very furry toddlers.


What is that noise? - A few weeks ago I was enjoying my day off quite nicely. I had cleaned a little bit, done some laundry, emptied the dishwasher, and had just settled down on the couch to watch a movie when I hear "bang, bang, bang." (Not like gunshots, but like someone beating on something.) I thought "what are those neighbor kids up to now?" because they were out playing in the yard. I hear bang, bang, bang again. Hmmm...now that sounds like one of my cats is trying to get into the childlocked cabinets. Sure enough I get up and see Zeke batting at one of the cabinet doors. I am just about to yell at him when I see an orange paw dart out in the small space between the door and the cabinet. Zeke was apparently trying to help Zeus out of the cabinet. Zeus had climbed in while I wasn't paying attention when I was putting dishes away. Silly Zeus.

Zeus & The Water ~ Zeus loves to play in water. He's a bit daft in case you didn't know from the two previous stories. The automatic water bowl is a constant source of entertainment for Zeus, especially when it has just been filled. He loves to try and stop the water from filling up the bowl and in the process can soak a floor pretty well. (Their water bowl now sits on a towel to prevent this.) Well, he has also discovered our bathroom sink. You simply must watch the video...(facebook users must view original post to get the video)



Now he will hop up on the sink and flurf at you to turn the water on so he can play. Ugh.

Vet Trips ~ Zeke & Zeus made their yearly visit to the vet yesterday. Zeke now weighs almost 17 lbs and Zeus weighs almost 14lbs. They are rather big cats. They rival the size of most small breed dogs. They only go to the vet for their yearly vaccinations. They didn't even see the vet himself and our total bill was $248 for six shots (3 each) and 3 months of flea protection (6 vials of Revolution). It was fun trying to get the boys gathered up and to the vet. It is a two parent job because the carriers we bought when they were kittens aren't real sturdy when it comes to a 14 or 17 pound cat so they make the trip with harnesses and leashes. (Even in carriers it would be a two parent job b/c you can only safely carry one carrier at a time.) So I got their harnesses and leashes on and took them one by one to the truck. They sat side by side on the passenger seat the whole way to the vet's office. Dave followed behind about 5 minutes later in his vehicle because he had to go to class shortly after our visit. He wasn't there when I got to the office so I juggled holding 2 cats and my purse on the way into the office. (They don't really walk on a leash...it is more to ensure they don't run off.) The poor boys were very disgruntled at being carried in such a way. Zeus meowed as soon as we entered the office (that oh no this isn't good kind of meow) and I told him to hush. When I set him down he immediately hid under a chair. Zeke followed right behind him, but not before they tried to get me tangled up in their leashes. Luckily, Dave arrived and he took over one cat while I had the other. They got their shots, we paid the bill, and then the boys got to wait in the car while Dave and I had lunch before his class. (It was a nice day, a balmy 59 degrees or so, and I opened the window a bit for them.) They were grumpy anyhow so waiting in the car only made them more grumpy. (They are very social cats so being kept away from visiting angers them.) I'm just glad I don't have to juggle taking them to the vet again for another year...barring any digestive issues with Zeus. So far so good.

No comments: