Thursday, April 10, 2008

Freedom & Relief

Today was a day of freedom and relief. There are a few reasons I felt this way today. The first reason for freedom is that I signed my letter of intent that says I "do not plan on working in Onslow County for the 2008-2009 school year." It was freeing knowing that I will be moving on to another place for the next school year. (Hopefully I'll still be teaching, just somewhere new.) I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that there is one less thing on my list of things to do before the end of the school year. And there is only one more school day left to survive before Spring Break begins (when I can hopefully cross a few more things off the list).

Another reason for relief is that I had my "summative evaluation" for the 2008-2009 school year and I was marked "at standard" in all of the areas listed on the evaluation form. It was exciting to know that I am doing a good job so far. I received a nice compliment from the Principal as well about how much progress I have made since last school year. For my second year in the business, I feel good.

I'm also looking forward to a new beginning. A new beginning at a completely new school district in a completely new state where I can have a fresh start. My reputation and record starts over in the new school and I can stand on my own without the mistakes of my first year of teaching ever looming over my shoulder each time someone evaluates me or my classroom. I've made a lot of gains this year. I feel a lot more confident in my abilities. Granted, I still have a lot of learning and several more years of experience to gain, but I feel good where I am right now. I'm looking forward to working in a school where I can invest myself whole-heartedly in my lessons, my students, and the community. A place where I may feel disconnected at first, but will gradually create my very own niche in the school and the community. A place where I can see siblings pass through and get to know the families of the students I teach. In a perfect world, they would be families that are involved and encourage their students to do their very best in order to be successful in life. We don't live in a perfect world. Unfortunately, there will still be students struggling to overcome their background, their homelife, their role in the community, and a myriad of other issues in order to be successful. My job will be to help them in any way I can, within reason and the limitations of my job.

Cheers to the beginning of the resolution to this particular chapter of life. Cheers to the introduction of a new chapter!

3 comments:

BrendaF said...

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.---'Nuff said, child of mine?

KIM :-) said...

Yea for you! I'm so happy that you are excited about moving to a new place. That can be a scary thing, but so exciting, too. Good luck to you guys and enjoy it!!! :-)

Peapod Four said...

You make it hard to pout...so...ok, fine! I'm excited for you too. But I still have my arms crossed. And I guess deep down I agree with your mom. : p But I still think you should move closer to me, rather than further away.