Friday, November 2, 2007

Marine Corps Land

Marine Corps Land is where I live, sadly...and gladly too. I call it Marine Corps Land because it feels like I live in the Marine Corps version of Monopoly. Everywhere I go I am surrounded by Marines and Marine Wives and Marine kids...and well...the list goes on from there, but I don't want to bore you. Some days it isn't so bad living here and other days I feel like I'd rather live anywhere but here. Those "other" days tend to be weekends, especially payday weekends. Marine Corps Land on payday is hellish. You can't go anywhere quickly and heaven forbid you need to shop because it will take 5 times as long as it should, you'll see children out who should be home napping or in bed for the night, and you will be ogled by every single Marine you pass. Now, if you were ogled by every single Marine that you passed and you were dressed up (or at least somewhat dressed nicely for a day out) no problem, but when you can roll out of bed and go to Wal-Mart and have Marines look at you like you're not wearing anything...it tends to feel creepy. Not to mention the stupid boots that are out in town on weekends. Ugh. (For you non-military "boots" are those young pups fresh out of boot camp that still think high school was really the life...and talk about it with their buddies nonstop.) I have been forced to listen in on way too many stupid boot conversations while waiting in line somewhere. I've also been forced to witness stupid boot antics in public where they show off just how stupid they are by doing strange things. Then you have the opposite end of the spectrum...the Marines who think they are all that and more that really look like jerks (I'm sorry, I've become very good at picking out guys that are jerks...I've had lots of first hand experience in dealing with them so it's only natural I guess). It makes me want to punch them. I made a "quick" trip to Wal-Mart this evening to get snaps to fix my $15 Ann Taylor Loft jeans and left completely mad at anyone Marine. It's probably just another symptom of my week. I've been in a bad mood this week. Everything pisses me off. Each day I get a little madder about nothing in particular. It's probably because I haven't talked to Dave in over a week so I'm really missing him and frustrated. Hopefully he calls this weekend so I can get happy again. I know he'll call when he can because he misses me just as much as I miss him, but my patience is waning a bit. I go to sleep each night praying my sleep is interrupted by a call from him. So...I'll now head off to bed an pray that I'm rudely awakened by a ringing cell phone.

1 comment:

Manda Roxanne said...

I know exactly what you're talking about! Anytime I'm up there and I have to go somewhere by myself, I constantly feel like I'm being stared at by every Marine that walks by. And the boots and cocky s.o.b's?? Don't even get me started. Since I've been with Clay, and especially since he's been deployed I've got a new found hatred for those who talk like they're God's gift to the military when in fact, they have some computer/desk job that any average Joe could do. It's worse when I'm down here in FL, because of all the Air Force guys who live down here in Cocoa Beach. They've spent their entire enlistment partying their butts off, never seeing ANY type of danger and then they act as if they run the military... Haha, okay enough with my rant. As you can see, I've been pretty randomly pissed off this week too. Clay hasn't called me in almost two weeks and I haven't heard from him by e-mail in 4 days... Hopefully things will look up for both of us as soon as we talk to our men! Lol.